Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In the sweat of their view.

It is done: "The Good American" by Jochen Hick, at the Berlinale, celebrated its world premiere. In his last diary entry tells the director exclusively for blogs ONLINE, like his screen hero came in sweat - and himself at a cocktail desperate.

 


My right eye has sparked days. Not good for interviews. Until shortly before the premiere, I sit in the office at TIMM, then there is a small reception at the Hyatt Hotel, organized by Panorama, a very friendly Swiss cares about us. Just before we go, there are still small jars with potato salad and Minibouletten. My cutter is a vegetarian, I had until then hardly eaten anything. No major railway station, which takes place behind the partition wall instead for "The Countess" starring Julie Delpy at the photo session.


For the first time to see my protagonist again, some of which no longer talk to each other. Everything in the green area. Clock at 16.30 we run over to the cinema, the phone rings constantly, and everyone wants a ticket for the sold-out idea? I have only 20 pieces, and they are already gone. To four forty is the room is not very full, small panic. A few minutes later, the places up on the first row filled.


PERSONAL


TIMM


Jochen Hick, 48, is one of the most prestigious art-house filmmaker in Germany. With movies like "Appian Way" and "No One Sleeps" and documentaries such as "Sex / Life in LA" or "I know 'no! - Alone among heterosexuals" he has since 1984 as an important chronicler of the international gay life established. His new film "The Good American" portrays the HIV-positive businessman Tom way, after 15 years of illegal residence in the U.S. back to Germany to return.

Document prior to the demonstration by 17 clock down asked. I try to be brief and invite the entire audience to our small reception later. Would they all come, we would be bankrupt, but it is the middle of the day, because you can risk such a thing. To this time much professional audiences, which are often only a few minutes and can then send screener if they liked the beginning.

Amazingly, almost all of it remain. Only ten of over 300 people go prematurely. I'm one of them, because I tend to prepare Premieres discomfort. With the cinema supervisor we turn the sound still on the right volume. If festivals always important to know where the button is and with whom one speaks, if anything with the projection is wrong. With my press lady I then distributed the time at the Berlinale site and am ten minutes before closing again in the cinema.

Instead sweating my protagonist, the movie in part for the first time to see, and this is still even on the big screen. It is my first documentary in widescreen format and I'm excited about colors, resolution and sound. Tom and his partner, I had "The Good American" five days earlier at home shows. After turning the whole film around him, and he should be quite a bit on Saturday in the Arte and TIMM shot interviews can say.

The applause is very friendly, maybe not terrific, but I am relieved. There are no Buhse, many people remain, and are interested. The public conversation will only be hesitant, but then takes it well for half an hour, rather long for the Berlinale this year. At least sometimes is recognized, how low budget the film is incurred, and that it still a good picture and good sound can manage.

ON TO ONLINE blogs

Gay TV TIMM: "No other broadcaster would dare to broadcast" (31.10.2008)

New TV channel for gays: "woo Prince Knack ass" (25.09.2008)

Berlinale application: Being there is everything (26.01.2009)

Then collect feedback. Very pleasing to the enthusiastic, not only for my loyal fans, if I may call someone so. Perhaps the major critics alike have made the dove? then you hear the latest gossip or read it, hopefully not. No, constructive criticism is in any event more fun, than to read, 90 per cent from the production of ready made press releases exist - which is from time to time be found.

With the Response Team and can in any case, I live well. At the end, about 30 people in the city retreat, where our small reception will take place. It is long on the film and talked about Tom and the Hustlaball parties, not a bad sign. Everyone wants the big party after the Wednesday presentation to come back.

I am tired hourly. With just ten people, we prefer a few meters further into the solar. A pleasant people and bearable noise density there. While some wrongly think I am for abstinence, but in my cocktail is clearly too little alcohol. The others on the card were harder, they say to me. Shortly before midnight, I sit with good friends in the taxi. Wednesday at 22:30 clock to go. The second idea. Then the party. Then sleep.

Thursday, I have freely made.
Here's the first part of the diary

No comments:

Post a Comment